Friday, June 15, 2007

It's never too late

I watched Shrek today, and the fairy tale fascinated me. So, after coming home, I googled about it, and came across William Steig, the creator of Shrek.

He was a cartoonist, who started writing children's books at 60. Shrek was published at an age of 83!

I found this detail interesting.

It brought back the thought I had had a few days ago.

Of late, I have sometimes worried whether I will be able to give myself the career that will satisfy and stimulate my soul. I have felt that the time to make this decision is now, my 20s, and this realization brings with it an urgency, which stresses me.

Till one day I thought seriously about it. How long will I live? Well, I could die tomorrow from an accident maybe. But, for the purpose of analysis, let us cast such unpredictables aside. Well, one may reasonably assume to live to an age of 80. That means, I have just lived 1/4th of my life till now! And already, I feel so rich with the collected experience and knowledge. So, just imagine, how much more those 60 years would bring!

This thought really cast a spell on me. It eased all the burdens I was placing on my 20s. My present doesn't need to carry the weight of my future. My future is capable of taking care of itself. This realization was a big relief!

Even today, I have somethings I wish I had learnt, e.g. I often wish I had participated in sports in the school, especially basketball and running. Earlier, I used to think that I was now past the point when I could learn them. There would be no point, and no time either. But, nowadays, I am learning to look backwards. Look back from the age 80 years. Others would have loved basketball for 70 years. And, I, who learnt late, for 58 years. But, still, 58 years is a lot of time!!!

A William Steig may have started writing children's books at 60, an age when most people officially retire, from life. But, he was open to the new challenge. Could he have known at that point that he had 36 years of children's writing in him!!! And that 23 years later, he would be producing such a well-loved and hugely successful character as Shrek!
So, it all comes down to trying, and to having faith in yourself. To having the right attitude, and to believing that its never too late to learn something new.

To quote myself:

You never know what you can do till you try.
You never know what you enjoy till you do.
So, keep trying new things...enjoy living!

No comments: