Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Seven Wonders In Just Two Days

"What was the first impression you got of me?" I asked Shalini today.

"Well," she smiled, "a kid (I nod with a grin), who is very excited to get into Advertising, is VERY excited, and knows nothing about it."

Shalini is the copywriter at JWT. I am training under her.

So, what have I learnt in my first two days?

1. I can do it.

2. I will have to work really hard to do it.

3. If I am creative ( yes, after two days, I still think so), then there are many people, MANY people out there who are gods of creativity! I have miles and miles to go. I am still near the starting line.

4. I understood what 'out of the box' means.

Yesterday, Shalini asked me to rewrite the story of Cheeni Kum as per my imagination. "Introduce any twists that you want to. Play around with the story. I want to see how wildly you can think."

I stretched and strained my brain but it rattled like an empty box! No "Wow" idea came that I would be proud of.

I have a l-o-n-g way to go. It's good to know that.

5. It will force me out of my comfort zone, and make me sit up and learn new things. The more you know, about a wider range of themes, the better ideas you will get. The logic is that simple.

I have already resolved to make it a habit to listen to English songs, to listen to Indian songs more thoroughly, watch English movies, and read comics.

The mantra is to experiment with new genres.

6. Yesterday, I had written 'Beneath the silence.' Normally, I don't look again at a story after it gets its finishing touches.

But this weekend, I am going to rework the same story in at least two different ways. It's a practice. A challenge for my box of a brain- to think 'out of the box'.

7. And yes, the creative department has just the kind of fun atmosphere that I have always wanted to work in. Also, I don't like the work the Client Servicing guys have to do. So, its good that I am not doing the MBA from MICA.

A pretty long post this is! And it's been only two days yet! :D

As Shalini said, " It's only after you go from here that you will realise how much you have learnt!"

True!

P.S.

1. Are you wondering where the promised seven wonders are?
Well, you just read the seven points of this post! :D
Tell me, am I learning my lessons well? ;-)

2. A conversation today morning:

S: Are you a virgo by any chance?
Me: Yes. Aap bhi?
S: Yeah. I thought so. Virgoes are perfectionists.
Me: Waise, what is your birth date? (Will she say it? Say it! It'll be so exciting!)
S: 10th. (She said it!!!)
Me: What!!!! Wow! Amazing!
S: Wow! We share our Bdays too!

Amazing! :D

1 comment:

Shalini said...

Some kind of nostalgia... thanks japs for keeping up with this blog.. it has got everything... it took me to those beautiful days... and yeah... i regularly visit this divine corner of ur's :)

Love uuu!!