Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A doctor complains against himself

I found this article interesting.

But somehow, I did not go 'Wow' over the ethics shown by the doctor. Instead, I am thinking.

Suppose I were a doctor, and a very close relative of mine dies in my hands after operation. I would feel enormously guilty. I wouldn't be able to look at my relatives in their eye. I would feel the burden on my soul, of being unable to save my dear one. I would somehow feel responsible for the death.

I vividly see myself slouched on the floor, in a corner, hearing everyone wail, but unable to look up. Sitting there, quietly, with defeat and dejection in my eyes.

It's quite possible that grabbed by a sudden impulse, I'll get up, and walk outside, determined to punish myself for my 'carelessness.' So, I will go to the police station and admit blame for the death. I will accept that I did my best, but still was unable to save her.

The police will most probably enquire from my relatives if they doubt my role in the operation, or believe me responsible for the death. They will probably say 'no', and so the police will take no action.

This is one man trying to ease his guilty conscience.

The argument about Medical Ethics being the doctor's consideration would have been acceptable had the patient been totally unrelated to him.

And, what is actually interesting is that so many patients suffer or even die due to the negligence of doctors, and yet there is not one doctor who came forward and accepted on his own his dereliction of duty.

Does our conscience become easy when the person in front is unknown or unrelated to us, or is inferior to us?

Just remembered a quote read long ago, "A man's true character is judged from the way he treats his servants."

I would have gone "Wow!" over the integrity of the doctor in the story had the patient been an ordinary, unknown woman.

No comments: