Monday, February 15, 2010

What the heck is 'Individuality'?

Scene: A lunch in a busy restaurant with a group of best friends from college. The group has reunited for two days after four years!

Friend 1: It's been four years since we passed out. Do you people see any change in yourself?

One or two people in the group answer. This is a topic that I have often reflected upon, so I too chime in pretty soon.

Me: I have definitely changed a lot. If I now look back, I think what a bachi I was then!

Friend 2 (with a twinkle in his eye): And what makes you think that you are not a bachi now?

Me: Exactly! What I've learnt in these four years is that whenever I will look back, I will find my past behavior kiddish as compared to the present. Now I know that maturity is an ongoing process.

Friend 2 (perhaps startled): Arrey, main mazaak kar raha tha.

Me: But I was serious.

Friend 1: If I talk about myself, I think I've become more selfish in these years.

Me: I guess that is actually not selfishness but that our individuality has become more defined.

Friend 1 hasn't heard it properly because of the din. There is another friend sitting in between us. She asks me to repeat. I do. Half-way through, I notice an amused grin on the face of our sandwiched friend. I realize, stop, look around, find many similarly grinning faces around the long table and break into a sheepish smile. Oops!

In the evening, when my mind is tired, 'individuality' comes back to me. I marvel. What a heavy word to use! And how remarkably vague!

Making light-hearted and light-worded conversations is a talent. Blessed are those who have it.

2 comments:

Pankaj said...

your blog post reminds me of this blog post - http://blandspice.blogspot.com/2009/12/invisibles.html

Jay said...

thanks for the link, pankaj. It's inspired a big new post! :)