Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Going further on 'Individuality'

I read this post just now and had so many things to say that I thought I would write a new post.

I am much surer of myself- as a person- now than I was in college, and before that, in school. But I still have a long way to go! Last evening, I was chatting with my cousin and she bragged that she was just 21 yet while I was getting old at 24. I sent her a smiley and said that 24 is a much better place to be in. I was so raw at 21! Gauche perhaps is the word.

In school, I was a perennial topper and a great participant in extra-currics related with academics or elocution. That was why I was a great favorite of all my teachers and really enjoyed my school years. Recently, we had a reunion of our Tenth class mates. One of them specially called me the next day to express his surprise at how much I had opened up. He said that everyone used to think of me as a nerd then.

My relatives too usually think of me as a nerd. They do not think I am very worldly wise. I am well respected by them as IAS material. None of them was very surprised when I quit Infosys to write a book. But when Infosys posted me in Bangalore, my mama ji asked me twice if I would be able to fly all alone and live all alone there. In the weddings (which are many in our large, extended family) and other family functions, I have often been at a loss for company. I do not have any friends among my cousins. They think of me as an intellectual and keep a wary distance. When I was younger, I actually used to take pride in the 'intellectual' tag and made no efforts to mingle with the cousins. One of my favorite quotes has been:

'Great minds discuss ideas, intelligent minds discuss events and ordinary minds discuss people.'

No prizes for guessing which category I aspired to belong to.

So, my cousins used to keep their distance from me- thinking of me perhaps as 'weird' or a 'bhondu'- and I would keep my distance from them- thinking that they were ordinary and I was not. Yes, now that I think of it- and it is the first time that I am looking at it this way and confessing this even to myself- I was a snob!

I have many best friends- all from college or later- who are like cousins to me. I wish the vice versa was true!

One startling lesson that time has taught me is that NO mind is ordinary. There is something special about everyone. And that, I am just as ordinary or as special as anyone else.

The consequence of this realization is that now, when people talk about things which I earlier dismissed as 'ordinary' and had nothing to say on, instead of trying to steer the conversation towards something more to my taste or- to put it more snobbishly, 'intellect'- I just keep quiet and listen and often find myself learning many new things. And, I've discovered that listening with interest is a surer way of becoming a part of a conversation than talking. If I was considered an outcaste by my cousins before, I guess that was because I acted like one. I refused to involve myself in their discussions and perhaps sat with a bored look on my face or a book in my hand.

Now, my ideal is to talk intelligently but interestingly. There are people who talk with great depth but in a wonderfully engaging manner- using witticisms, jokes, stories, colorful metaphors and easy examples. That is the style I now wish to have.

I genuinely believe now that it is a talent to be able to keep things simple. I can look back and laugh at myself for the times when I tried too hard to belong to the club of Intellectuals.

2 comments:

Bland Spice said...

it seems like i am reading something written by myself at 24. we share a lot - toppers, nerdy, not very worldy wise, fav quotes.

it is good that you have learnt that no mind is early so early on. the bane of our fate is that we get too much attention at the start and become obsessed with ourselves. being an outcast and yet a sense of superiority - calling the other the flock.

you write well.

Jay said...

Thank you Bland Spice...I would return the same compliment to you :)