Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Poem That Got Completed

Friday

Ninja moves the gears and screws, and fixes up the Magboard party for Tuesday, Sep 18th.

It's a 'Passing-of-the-baton' party. These are the annual parties jointly hosted by the Past-Present-Future (convenors) of the Magboard.

Last year, Prabh Sir, me and KD had given the treat. This year, it would be me, KD and Ninja.

Monday

I send this mail to the group:

"
... I'll show u the aadhi-adhuri invitation wali poem that I had started long ago, but could never finish.


One evening not long ago

She who always is gung-ho

Had gonged aloud the promise to

Treat the group with the first issue

Of her salary. The event alluded

Has gone by. The currency’s hue did

Wash her wallet through. Now you

Decide when you want the treat to

Be. Any evening, but not Sunday

Or coming Monday will do. Sundae,

Coffee, confections, snacks. Whatever

You say, as will be.



Lesson Learnt: Never start a poem in the office. Chances are, you won't be able to finish it, and then, it'll be left undone, unfinished forever. The Monday in ques here was my Bday wala Monday...so u can guess how long its been waiting completion and redemption :P"

Tuesday. 6 p.m.

I am winding things up in my cubicle. I ought not to be late at the party. Out of habit, I check my mail. There's a mail on the Magboard group titled "Re: ur poem"

Hmmm, so there's been a reply to my poem! I hurriedly open the link and scan it through. I am grinning now. I am going "Arrey Wah!"

This is what I've just read:

"One evening not long ago
She who always is gung-ho
Had gonged aloud the promise to
Treat the group with the first issue
Of her salary. The event alluded
Has gone by. The currency’s hue did
Wash her wallet through. Now you
Decide when you want the treat to
Be. Any evening, but not Sunday
Or coming Monday will do. Sundae,
Coffee, confections, snacks. Whatever
You say, as will be.

tis not the food that shall be served
tis not the drinks though there shall be some,
tis not the merriment enjoyed by all,
tis only the company of the select few
who always were, and always will.
cherish not the tangible,
for u will lose that one day,
love the way it made u feel,
for that shall forever be yours.
and so i complete this poem,
hoping someone. someday will complete mine,
hope that when we meet someday,
u remember that once,
i made u smile!"


You surely did KD! The gesture was great! :)

5 comments:

Prabh Singh said...

the cake was there ... KD jus seems to have put the icing on it !!!!

so .. i guess.. he surely is becoming one of us.. - The Elderly.. :P coz thats the time when you have these amazing amazing thought.. its not for the crazy young blazing guns... or the vodka shots i might say .. people like us r like the scotch or the wine.. which has matured in the oak casks with time.. :P *grin*

and so i complete this poem,
hoping someone. someday will complete mine,
hope that when we meet someday,
u remember that once,
i made u smile!"

awesome.. :)

*Pats KD's back*

thats a job well done my boy .. :)

Anonymous said...

great piece of art, my dear friend.

i like this one the best.. :)
esp the last two lines..
'u remeber that once,
i made u smile!'

award winning stuff.
get ur novel ready soon!

Jay said...

Sam, ab yeh to aap sharminda kar rahe ho.....matlab aapne dhyaan se padha bhi nahin :(

Woh lines maine nahin KD ne likhi thi

[tapp tapp]

[Disappointed aansoo]

Anonymous said...

oho,,yeh toh galti se mistake ho gaya...
well, those lines seemed to be in perfect tandem with your poem...so that how...well, i am sorry my dear friend..u have a completely valid reason to embarass me.. :)

but, that doesnt mean i didnt read ur poem. it is a beautiful poem.
u should start collecting your poems seriously, and get some published in international journals.
get a step ahead my dear girl!!
ab bahut ho gayi blog pe publishing, now i should expect to see japinder gill's name on the list of published indian authors!!!
start becoming deadly , as in dead serious, about your dream!!!!

Jay said...

Thank You Sam for such an encouragement.

And, you ARE going to see Japinder Gill's on a book cover some day, and you are gonna get one of the first autographed copies! *Do I hear your squeals of delight or do I have delusions of grandeur?* :D