Monday, September 03, 2007

My Mother at Sixty-Six

Driving from my parent's
home to Cochin last Friday
morning, I saw my mother,
beside me,
doze, open mouthed, her face
ashen like that
of a corpse and realised with
pain
that she thought away, and
looked but soon
put that thought away, and
looked out at young
trees sprinting, the merry children spilling
out of their homes, but after the airport's
security check, standing a few yards
away, I looked again at her, wan,
pale
as a late winter's moon and felt that
old
familiar ache, my childhood's fear,
but all I said was, see you soon,
Amma,
all I did was smile and smile and
smile...

Kamala Das

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This poem is a great one and focuses on human reltionship the pain of departing frm a loved one and the realisation of neglectence which is given to taht person and his/her importance in our life

Anonymous said...

This poem describes a daughter's pain of losing her mother.Though she knows that death of her mother is inevitabe,she cant digest it.It portrays the climax pain of all relationships.

Anonymous said...

we lost our mother to primary brain cancer. she was 65. she wanted to live for us but there was nothing we could do to stop the monster disease from closing on her. for all cancer affected families, the ordeal is pretty much the same. you see a malignant tumor crop up somewhere, and the struggle goes on and on till medical treatments go ineffective. it is even harder to see an innocent mother who hardly has any idea about brain cancer, trusting in god and finding her own ways to survive. i can't forget that moment when my mother kept herself awake late in the night and took to finding ayurvedic methods to heal her disease. i can't forget those moments when she used to sincerely participate in physiotheraphy exercises with the confidence that she would be able to walk again one day.