Monday, October 20, 2008

GMAT being rigged!

I saw advertisements in the local newspapers seeking test-takers for GRE, GMAT and TOEFL, and offering handsome remuneration depending on the score. A score of 750 in GMAT would fetch a princely Rs 50,000!

I called the number given and asked the guy on the phone to explain how it was that they were paying people to take the test!

He asked my qualification, and perhaps convinced that I could be a potential test-taker, asked me if I had heard about scoretop.com (I hadn't). He explained broadly about what they did. I did not understand it fully then. But now, when I searched about scoretop.com, their modus operandi became clear.

The questions asked in the GMAT remain live for around a month, which means that if I have taken the test today, and you take it within a few days, chances are that some questions of my test will be repeated in yours.

What scoretop.com did was that it posted online the questions that the test-takers reported and sold them to those who were in the queue for the test. This way, test-taker No. 1 made money by 'selling' the questions, and Test-taker No. 2, who 'bought' those questions got a good score.

This scam was discovered however and the website was shut down.

The advertisements I saw in the newspaper today indicate an offline version of the same scheme.

No comments: