Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Books ought to be cheaper

I read the historical novel 'Roothi Raani' by Munshi Premchand today. The book had two novels in 100 pages and it cost, well, Rs 28.

I like buying books and spend hours at bookstores. I first pick up all the books that entice me. Then, when I do a mental calculation of how much the bill will be, I have to question myself about each of them. "How badly do I want it?" "Do I really want to own a copy of this? I can read it in the library." There are some books which I won't get in the library. So, I have to buy them.

I do these deliberations each time I buy books. Yet, I end up spending quite a fortune. Even as I make the payment, a voice inside screams that I can still leave them all on the counter and walk out and save my money. I never do that and guiltily offer my debit card to the cashier. I ought to be frugal. I am living off on my savings.

But it's so easy to buy a book of twenty eight rupees! The bestselling books of vernacular literature are fabulously priced. I went to Punjab Book Center today and bought 3 Punjabi and 2 Hindi books in Rs 178!

Chetan Bhagat's books cost Rs 95 and that was a major reason in his success. You don't think twice about buying him because it's just Rs 95!

I once bought a book 'Story and Structure' from a roadside second-hand book stall on MG Road in Bangalore. It cost Rs 30 and featured 43 short stories by as many great writers. I was shocked to have got such a gem for so little. It must have been a part of the University curriculum for literature.

I do understand that cheaper books will not be as fine in quality. That doesn't bother me much. The size of the book piracy market should be a sufficient proof that 1) We (usually) prefer to pay for the content and not the fine paper. 2) We are very much willing to pay for content until it becomes too highly priced and pulls itself out of our reach.

I also understand that the books that cater to niches are necessarily expensive. Cheaper books can be profitable to the publisher only if the sales volume is large.

And that is my point. If a book gets cheaper than a bottle of sauce, and also does satisfy some need- whether the need for relaxation or escape or knowledge- then, it will definitely achieve a large sales volume because people will then be able to make guilt-free, impulse buys of books.

No comments: