Sunday, August 24, 2008

If Shakespeare's ghost comes visiting

I am extremely interested in the writers who were not recognized during their lifetimes but later on grew into literary phenomena, lauded as the chief architects of a whole new style of writing or some similarly huge epithets.

I was just reading about Herman Melville on wikipedia. He had the same story. So does Scott Fitzgerald and our dear Mr Shakespeare. Shakespeare died as a respected poet and playwright, but just that. He was considered 'one among the many' such talented writers. His reputation did not rise to its present heights until the nineteenth century!

If Shakespeare's ghost came visiting today, he would actually be quite surprised. The Grand Old Man of English? "Is it me they are talking about?" He will be quite shocked first, then thrilled with the realization, will do a little hee-hoo by himself. But after that will come the thought- What difference does it make now? They may say anything now but that will not undo the struggles I had to do in my lifetime, which I would have not have had to, had they recognized me then. But they did not, and that is what matters. Saying so, the ghost will quietly leave, thinking sadly of what could have been...

No comments: