Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Curtain-Raiser: The Half-M

Day after day is passing, it's now a week since I came back home, and I've not yet blogged anything about it-not about the last week in Bangalore, the last day at Infy, the farewell, the train-journey-all-alone, the coming back, the days here- despite intending to, so seriously. It's that same excuse- didn't find the time.

Even now, that is not what I came here for (though I will write about it all- soon!)

Today, I ran. After many, many weeks. And, Mohali saw me run a distance of 10 km for the first time. Last year, when I used to go for walks at the local Rose Garden, I could do no more than 3 rounds (roughly 1 mile) of jogging. Today, I did not stop/walk even once. I felt so proud!

Running is one legacy I will always fondly attribute to Bangalore. It let me run, gave me so many opportunities to. I was a part of the 'Runners for Life' mailgroup. And, I ran with the 'Hash House Harriers.' There, I met people older than my father, some almost as old as my grandmother, coming for their sunday run. It was a wholly new lifestyle, a new attitude that I was exposed to. There, I met a sprightly lady, with silver hair, dressed in a full cyclists' gear. She assembled her cycle, and as we ran, she cycled past. I told her that she is the kind of old lady I want to be, and she expressed mock objection to being called old.

Bangalore gave me the confidence that it'll never be too late to start running. I started running.

My first goal was the Sunfeast 10 km run, and that I ran on May 18, 2008.

The next target was to run the Half Marathon in the Bangalore Marathon scheduled for Sep.

But then I decided to resign, and so my Half-M goal shifted to the Delhi Half Marathon, planned for November.

From today, I officially start the training for the Half-M.

That is what I had come to the blog for :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you are up for HM.
You may not like this anonymous feedback on your blog. I do not know you personally, but from your blog it seems like you are so much obsessed with yourself and your writings. Your blog is very much self-centered indeed. Perhaps you can use your writing skills on things other than you. ( ofcourse, your writings are again reflection of what you think.. but again, i know you understand what i meant).