Thursday, December 10, 2009

Physical feats!

I was randomly searching for ways to make walking more fun or to set for some higher goal in my walking routine. My current best is 13.33 minutes per mile, that is, 9000 steps per hour.

I came upon Racewalking. The current Olympic record in racewalking for women is 20 km in 1 hr 25 min. That is about 17,650 steps per minute! My eyes just popped out at that figure.

There was more to come.

I came across 'Centurions.' These are the guys who have done a 100 miles in less than 24 hours. 100 miles means about 200,000 steps in 24 hours. My usual fast walking speed is 8500 steps per hour. If I were to attempt the 100 miler today, I would have to keep walking at my fast speed for 24 hours non-stop! The people who do that are racewalkers. They walk at speeds much higher than mine.

These mind-boggling statistics told me how much farther I can go with my body. I am inspired.

4 comments:

Dharmjit said...

yeah rigtly said we can shape our body any way we like it
but as you talk about statics
these depends upon body to body as genetic factors also play a major rule
anyway nice post

- said...

Wow.. your walks are still on? Sounds perfect. I am still looking for inspiration to start jogs in this concrete jungle :-/

Pankaj said...

well, if you go race walking early in the morning, do expect a few turned heads!

Jay said...

@Pankaj: lol...yeah....my head turns too whenever i see someone trying it....i find walking on my terrace the most convenient of all.