Saturday, August 08, 2009

On life, on writing- in general

Today, I was talking to a friend and I said something which I thought at the time was a cool statement.

"My best writing will come around fifteen years from now, provided I write through these fifteen years."

Right now, what I have to do is to live life fully. Take risks, suffer pain, suffer loses, enjoy thrills, feel the joys- because all of that will go into my writing. 'Pain' I dithered at writing that, I am a little afraid of pain (and that itself is material for a story- the lengths to which we go to avoid pain and how that changes our life fundamentally), but I do realize that pain is what makes a writer. Whatever. These are the years of exploration! Of myself. Of the world!

And alongside, I will write. Regularly. My voice will get firmer, my hand will get tighter, my strokes more confident. But all that will happen, provided I write. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I'll have to remember to keep taking the next step after this one.

There is so much to look forward to! In my twenties. In my thirties. Life takes unexpected turns. I hope I am able to make the best of the turns it takes. As long as it lasts.

No comments: